After reading the harassmap power point it was very inspiring to see the changes going on in Egypt to make the environment a safer place. The use of technology is a great way to keep up to date with device usage, which make help more accessible to the general public, and victims of sexual violence. Once a victim texts the provided phone number they will receive information on further assistance and additional counseling and psychological services. This is one of the features I found is very important. The fact that action is being taken, even after the act of violence, means that the programers of the site are willing to care for these victims for months to come, or until they are completely healed. Another good thing about this helping resource is that it is not only available to the victim but the victim’s friends or anyone who wants access to it. If someone felt slightly offended, uncomfortable, or was mildly verbally or sexually assaulted, does not matter what the extent is, they can still receive mental consolation and help.
One of the interesting facts that I came across while looking at the powerpoint is that 45% of assaults are made by men, meaning the other 55% are made by women and children. I think there is a slight lack of information on what age these children are who are responsible for these assaults. I also believe the information can be described more specifically, and it may be interesting to see what percentage of women exactly are committing the crimes, and what percentage of young males, and their ages. It would be helpful to know the age of the “children” who commit the crimes to get a better perspective and insight. The fact the statistics of women and children were combined, was not merely a fact, but I believe was geared to create an emotional effect, to open the eyes of readers and make it clear that the assaulters were not only male. However when discussing statistics I believe there is no need to combine “children and females”, but rather have a specified statistic for each gender and age.
While reading the first article, by Chelsea Young, I also came across a lot of discussion on how females were affected, as Young described how the women were assaulted whether or not they wore a hijab, or despite how they were dressed. What was really astonishing is that the article really focused on explaining how women victims are taken care of, and it was centralized on female case descriptions. However, I would really like to see how the male victims are treated, and read more descriptions on the cases of these male victims. I found this a bit of an inconsistency which did not correlate with the statistics shown in the previous powerpoint, which stated that only 45% of assaulters were male. The way in which the information is presented can be reformulated to be more inclusive of all the victims and their different cases, whether they are male or female.
Overall the movement is great, it is important to make sure all victims who access the hotline are getting professional help, and that the information and statistics are getting out there to hopefully stop and show the seriousness of sexual and verbal violence.